The Works of Andrés Sanz: a (non) systematic review.

The items posted here are notes, ideas and (moving) pictures that were part of the creative process during the making of my work.


Check out Flat Love LATEST NEWS in Facebook!

Flat Love (2009)

Flat Love (2009)

12 February 2009

Flat Love: The Idea.

It all began with an application to the New York State Council of the Arts for a film production grant. My sponsors were again the guys at FLUX FACTORY, who had supported my previous short Bedford. I applied to NYSCA (http://www.nysca.org/) with a project titled Spiritu, about a mischievous atheist ghost who refuses to accept his death.

Six months later, I received a letter announcing that I was awarded with the total amount of my request: $15,000. It was the largest sum I'd ever gotten for a project so I couldn't be happier. However, by the time the NYSCA grant arrived, my initial enthusiasm in Spiritu had started to melt. The screenplay wasn't finished; I was having a hard time finding an ending to the story. In short, I was stuck.
One night, while I was surfing the internet and avoiding my writing duties, I found a website announcing a multidisciplinary art contest on Don Quijote, the universal masterpiece of Miguel de Cervantes. All kind of artists were invited to create a new piece (literature, music, dance, painting, film, you name it) based on any of the themes of the book: reality vs. fantasy, adventurous life, utopia, the ideal of justice, madness, etc. But the theme that hit me unexpectedly was platonic love: Does perfect love only exist in our imagination? Rapidly I wrote on a piece of paper: "He was in love but she was flat". 

The idea was: two people are in love but one lives in a three dimensional world and the other is two-dimensional. Unfortunately I couldn't apply for the "Don Quijote" contest because the deadline was due in only a few days. But no matter, it gave me a perfect excuse for a fresh start (with a muse called Dulcinea).




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Fantástica esa foto en la que estás ensimismado frente a la pantalla.
¡Mucha suerte con la peli!